Reflective Summary
During
my first time as a teacher, I put effective classroom management strategies into
practice. Considering that it was my first time teaching, I believe I did a
good job of fulfilling my duties. In order to create a productive and orderly
learning atmosphere, I carefully planned and explained expectations to the
pupils. Several things went smoothly during the instructional demonstration. There was clear
engagement with the tasks and the content from the students' active
participation. High levels of student participation and compliments on the
relevancy of the material and the clarity of my directions were favorable
aspects of the demonstration. I made an effort to keep the students' enthusiasm
in the learning process alive throughout my teaching session by showing them my
admiration for their efforts through the expressions of appreciation such as
“good”, “very good”, and “great”. I was able to apply the PPP (Presentation,
Practice, Production) approach in my lesson planning procedure. Through the
lead-in activity, I allowed the students to brainstorm and guess the lesson
through eliciting. There, I only acted as the facilitator and students became
the central authority within the classroom.
Arendas (1998, as cited in Qin & Wang, 2021), delimits lead-in as “a
technique by teachers at the beginning of a new lesson or when presenting new
knowledge to prepare students to learn and establish a communicative link
between the learners and the information about to be presented”. Accordingly,
I realized that the lead-in activities, such as language games helped students
activate their schemata, arouse curiosity about the topic by piquing their
interest in the subject, get pumped up for the class, and explore their ideas before
learning comprehensive grammar. After teaching the lesson “adverbs”, the
students were directed to complete the pre-task and the while-task to practice
what they had learned. I applied behaviorism in the pre-task. Before starting
the game, I reminded the children of the incentives they would receive for
finishing the assignment successfully before we began the game. After the
pre-task was finished, I encouraged the students to applaud each group as a
means of peer support and encouragement. It was one of my strategies in
teaching that was used to motivate the students to actively engage in the in-class
activities. The post- task was there for the production stage where the
students had to write a creative essay by using their knowledge of adverbs that
they gained through the previous stages. In addition, I always attempted to
make sure that my students understood the instructions clearly. Throughout the
group activity, I went to both groups and monitored them while reminding the
remaining time that they had to complete the task. However, I encountered a
challenge related to time management. Balancing content delivery with
interactive activities took more time than expected, necessitating pace
adjustments to ensure key concepts were adequately covered. I had to face
another challenge as a few students struggled to stay focused, requiring me to
have improved classroom management skills to address varying student needs
effectively. Moreover, I thought that I would become more successful in my
teaching if my lesson content was divided into small chunks instead of teaching
all the concepts at one time and if I used L1 more than the target language as
the students are still in their lower secondary level. Hence, some students are
not competent enough to grasp some contents at once and they need more time and
practice to learn those concepts. To engage the audience effectively, I
employed a variety of teaching methods, such as group activities, visual aids,
and real-world examples. I learned the importance of flexibility in adapting to
unexpected challenges, particularly time constraints. In future teaching, I aim
to refine my time management skills, use a diverse range of teaching methods,
and focus on building a supportive and inclusive classroom community.
References
Qin, Y., & Wang, P. (2021). How EFL Teachers Engage Students: A Multimodal Analysis of
Pedagogic Discourse During Classroom Lead-Ins. Frontiers in Psychology.

Comments
Post a Comment